Saturday, April 17, 2010

A CITY MANAGER FOR DECATUR?


Some days ago, I was asked to do a photo illustration for a story about the city vote on a change of government in Decatur, from a mayoral system to a city manager system. After thinking about it, I came up with the idea in the picture above.
This is the first time I've used photoshop to combine two different images. I usually do all my photo illustrations on camera: it's more challenging and, therefore, more fun. But obviously, I couldn't do this idea on camera. Anyway, it was a challenge to find the right spot to photograph part of downtown, find someone and photograph him in the same light (which was impossible since the clouds disappeared one hour after shooting the first picture), and then putting everything together. And, in the process, I learned from my colleague Gary Cosby Jr. some photoshop stuff of which I had no idea.

By the way, 2 days later, the majority of citizens voted YES to change the form of government, but I don't think my picture had anything to do with that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This could very well be the cover of Time or Newsweek. Very good composition.