Friday, July 6, 2007

The hardest assignment (so far...)


Travis Landeen, the student body president at American Fork High School, was killed in a car accident. He had graduated just some days before. There was a counseling service at the school's gym. I felt like an intruder taking pictures of those kids crying the loss of their friend. The worst part is not just taking pictures but having to go up to them and ask, "could you please tell me your name?" Actually, these girls were very nice. The one in the center, Hannah Walker, was the student body vice-president and had worked closely with Travis. They not only gave me their names, but also told me some things about their lost friend. I know things like this one don't affect experienced photojournalists as much as they affect me. So, I guess I'll get used to them, but I hope I won't get a hard skin and become an insensitive man.

6 comments:

Laura said...

The picture tells the story... allows the viewer (or at least me) truly connect with this loss of someone I know nothing about. Great job... I know it was hard... but I'm glad it was hard for you... speaks volumes about you... and I think helps make the great picture. There's an aspect of reverence and respect... which can only come from the photographer.

Unknown said...

Nice image jeronimo. I bet that was a tough one.

Tully said...

Yeah man, I don't think people should ever get used to photographing these kinds of things. It's tough, but maybe it should be done? I dunno. But you seemed to have handled it well. Just don't show up with a Hawaiian T-Shirt smoking and laughing and talking really loud like I heard some fat TV guys do at funerals. Good job.

M.M.R. said...

this would be very difficult for me too. I know you, more than anyone else, must have approached them with sensitivity and sincerity. And your photo shows the emotion of the situation.

Jeronimo Nisa said...

well, thank y'all, guys, I'm overwhelmed by your comments...

Jack said...

I knew these girls and Travis. Thank you for this picture. Thank you for caring. He deserved it, and we deserved it. Thank you; thank you; thank you.